Thanks to several of you great readers and viewers out there for letting me know that the Episode 052 avi file stuttered and stammered when played in VLC.
Tonight I re-did my processing. This time I converted the original ogg files to h264 avi’s without b-frames and did all my joining and editing that way, only converting to a b-frame version at the end. This accomplished two key things:
1. The filesize of the final avi file dropped from around 78MB to about 35MB. Nice!
2. The avi file seems to play smoothly now in VLC. Although I did notice a slight jumpiness during the initial 15 second screencasters splash at the beginning, the rest of it seemed to play much better in VLC. I’ve also got to get a better copy of that intro because I still think the sound is clipped heavily in spots.
So I can definitively say that the order in which you do the conversions and processing definitely makes a huge difference.
Please take another download of the newly uploaded avi file for Episode 052, try it out in VLC and report back in the comments here. Hopefully this fixes the problem.
And many thanks to our wonderful viewers. We’ve been getting lots of comments lately and we love the discussion. And as you can see, you can also help us improve things. Now if only you could get heathenx to stop blaming me for everything. 😉
ps. You may notice my voice level to be a little low. I don’t think I boosted it enough in Audacity to bring it in line with the intro volume this time out. But hey, maybe I’ll get the next one completely right. 😉