Following on from the comment I left on the previous post, it seems we might be within the sweaty confines of encoding hell once again. heathenx is preoccupied for the next little while – something about a set of hair plugs and a week long brazilian wax 😉 – so it’s very likely I can’t fix the problem completely but I’ll summarize the situation. Abrogaticus left a comment describing the fact that while the intro to episode 018 played well, the main screencast was without sound. I’ve done a little testing from my end which leads me to the following observations:
Episode 018 (the downloaded avi file) plays entirely fine on my Ubuntu box at home using Totem. As does every other episode I’ve tried.
On my work box however it’s a different story. One which will undoubtedly get heathenx pulling those expensive hair plugs right out…
My own episodes play fine in WMP 11 and in VLC on windows – like that was any surprise [snicker].
Episode 002, the first one heathenx uploaded with the latest and greatest encoding scheme plays fine in WMP11 and VLC on windows.
Episode 016 and 018 avi files (the only two I’ve tried so far – both recently re-encoded by heathenx) play on both WMP11 and VLC with normal intro sequences, but the audio in the main screencast portion is double-speed. “Chipmunked” is the term we coined for it during the development of the site.
So I couldn’t replicate Abrogaticus’ problems with no sound – I just got chipmunked sound. Which is probably worse than no sound at all. We ran into this problem when we were doing our xvid encoding a month ago. It involves a mismatch in bitrates between the main portion and the intro. It’s fixable, however I don’t want to mess with heathenx’s videos (if I even have access to them), and I’m not sure I know where the problem is in the lastest and greatest encoding scripts. I haven’t been really involved in the development of them, and it may very well be that he mistyped a flag or two (he has sausage fingers which makes for clumsy typing – just ask him!).
So for the time being, here’s a few comments and suggestions:
– Download only my screencasts – just kidding. Give heathenx’s a try if you don’t mind and leave some feedback here on what your experiences are – what platform, what video player, and how it played back.
– You should be able to watch the streaming versions (they all seem to play correctly), and the latest flv conversion that heathenx has done on his streaming videos are very nice quality indeed.
– I’m going to try the same reencoding process and see if it works for me or not. I will not change my avi’s on the site until I know for sure. However I like the quality of the flv encoding that he’s doing, so I do intend to update the streaming versions of my screencasts over the next few days.
– Please give lots of feedback here on the blog. It may help us identify where or what the problem is. I know for a fact that heathenx tests his video playback on both linux and windows and with a couple of different players, so I’m quite surprised to get chipmunked audio here on my windows box at work.
Needless to say, he’s going to be pissed.